Skip to main content

A Story from the Great Epic Ramayana







Srirama was discussing some matters with the sage Vishwamitra and others in the palace of Ayodhya. A king came over there and bowed Srirama. He talked to Srirama for awhile and left the Palace. Others also said “Good-bye” to Srirama and started from there.

After that, Naradha met Vishwamithra. He said to him, "Honourable sage Viswamithra, the king who bowed Srirama, did not give you due respect. Are you so generous to pardon the king who ignored you? To be generous is a very good quality. But it should not give room to others to continue their mistakes". Naradha pretended to be very innocent and his revolutionary plan started working. Vishwamithra became furious and said "I did not notice the king who did not respect me. Otherwise I would have punished him then itself. Naradha, you have asked me directly about that incident. But many people who noticed it may think cheap of me and criticize me. I have lost my reputation. How dare the king was to dishonour me? Before the end of this day, his head will roll under my feet Naradha! I will teach a lesson to every one that anyone who dishonours Vishwamithra will have to face the consequences".

Vishwamithra who was in great tension and boiling with anger, straight away went to Srirama. He said, "Srirama, the king who came to the palace today did not bow me and thus he dishonoured me. Before the evening of today, his head should fall at my feet. This is the order of your Guru!" Srirama replied, "I will do as you ordered Gurudeva!" and started in search of the king.

Naradha who noticed all the incidents travelled quickly through skyways and met the king. He informed the king that Srirama was coming to kill the king as per the order of Vishwamithra.

The king was shocked and said, "O God! Because of my negligence , I have been put into great danger. Vishwamithra is well-known for his great anger. Even if I beg pardon to him, he will not forgive me. I can't fight even with the shadow of Srirama! Naradha Swami, please save me from this danger". The king caught hold of Naradh’s feet and shed tears.

Naradha said to him"Don't be afraid my dear king! There is only one way for you to escape. Srirama’s ardent devotee Anchaneya only can save you. But if you request Anchaneya to save you from the weapons of Srirama, he will not agree to do so. So, you straight away approach Anchanadevi who is the mother of Anchaneya and seek refuge. If she orders Anchaneya to save you, he will never disobey. Rush up to Anchanadevi without any delay!".

The king who was in distress approached Anchanadevi as a refugee. Anchanadevi, who took pity on him called Anchaneya and insisted him, "My dear son, it is your duty to save the king, who has come to me as a refugee".

Anchaneya, was put into trouble and he was in distress. He said, “My dear Mother, I will never fight with Srirama. But I assure you that I will protect this king from the weapons of Srirama by bearing those weapons on my body.” After giving this assurance to his mother, Anchaneya lengthened his tail and made it like a Fort. Keeping the king safely inside the Fort, Anchaneya sat on the Fort of Tail.

You are listening to the podcast of Manoj Kurup Pathanamthitta.

After a while, Srirama came there and asked Anchaneya to handover the king to him. Anchaneya bowed Srirama and begged him to forgive the king and not to do any harm to him.

Srirama said, "My Guru has ordered that the king's head should fall at his feet before the evening of to-day. I can’t do anything against his order and I can't forgive the king!".

Immediately Anchaneya said, "Swami, I have assured my mother that I will save his life. So I can't handover him to you till I am alive!". Then Anchaneya immersed in chanting RAMA NAMA MANTHRA.

Srirama shot very powerful weapons towards Anchaneya. But all those weapons turned into Flowers and fell at the feet of Anchaneya. It was a great shock to Srirama and he stood stunned as he could not understand the reason for the same.

Naradha came there with Vishwamithra. He said "Srirama, your name has more power than you and your weapons. As Anchaneya is always chanting your name, you can't do anything against him. To let all the people know that your name is more powerful, I initiated and staged this revolutionary drama. Please don't do any harm to the king. Leave him".

Srirama said, "If I do so, will it not be my disobedience of my Guru Vishwamithra’s order?”.

Naradha laughed and said, “Vishwamithra ordered that the king's head should fall at his feet before the end of the day. If the king falls at the feet of Vishwamithra, his head will be at his feet. Is it not enough to solve the problem?"

Immediately the king who rushed to Vishwamithra fell at his feet and begged pardon. Vishwamithra was also generous to forgive him. 


The fall of Karna.

Popular posts from this blog

THE PANCHA MAHA YAJNAS : Five Daily Sacrifices To Be Performed By Every Householder

Pancha maha yajnas There are five important daily sacrifices that Hindu religion commands everyone to perform . They are Brahma yajna - Sacrifice to Vedas or Rishis. Deva Yajna- Sacrifice to Devas and God. Pitru Yajna - Sacrifice to departed ancestors. Nru Yajna- Sacrifice to fellow -men. Bhuta Yajna - Sacrifice to creatures or brute creation. There is an outer aspect and inner meaning to each of these, teaching man his relations with all around him- his superiors, his equals and his subordinates. The law of sacrifice as embodied in these five Yajnas, teach us that we are not isolated entities , but part of a great whole , that our happiness and progress are secure, only when the sub serve the general happiness and conduce to the general purpose. Outer aspect of Brahma yajna is study and teachings of Vedas and scriptures.Everyone should study some sacred book, deeply think about it. Practice its teaching and share the gained knowledge with others. The inner aspect is t

अर्चिरादि मार्ग

प्राणियों केलिए वर्त्तमान शरीर को त्याग कर इस लोक से परलोक में जाने के, वेदों में  दो मार्ग बताये हाय हैं - एक देवयान और दूसरा पितृयान।  देवयान मार्ग शुक्ल और दीप्तिमय हैं तो , पितृयान कृष्ण और  अन्धकारमय हैं।  इसीका गीता में भी प्रतिपादन किया गया हैं :- शुक्लकृष्णे गती ह्येते जगतः शाश्वते मते । एकया यात्यनावृत्तिमन्ययावर्तते पुनः ॥ ८.२६ ॥ क्योंकि शुक्ल और कृष्ण – ये दोनों गतियाँ अनादिकालसे जगत् – (प्राणिमात्र) के साथ (सम्बन्ध रखनेवाली) मानी गयी हैं । इनमें से एक गति में जानेवाले को लौटना नहीं पड़ता और दूसरी गति में जानेवाले को पुनः लौटना पड़ता है । (८.२६) शुक्ल अधवा देवयान को अनावृत्ति ( मुक्ति) मार्ग और कृष्ण ( पितृयान )को पुनरावृत्ति मार्ग बताया गया हैं।  इस मुक्ति मार्ग को ही अर्चिरादि मार्ग कहते हैं।  अर्चि अग्नि को कहते हैं जो प्रकाश कारक हैं।  अर्चिरहः सितः पक्ष उत्तरायण वत्सरो। मरुद्रवीन्दवो विद्युद्वरुणेंद्र चतुर्मुखाः। । एते द्वादश धीराणां परधामा वाहिकाः। वैकुण्ठ प्रापिका विद्युद्वरुणा देस्त्वनुग्रहे।।   ब्रह्मज्ञानी मुक्त जन अर्चिरादि मार्ग द्वारा परमधाम जाते है

Shabarimala..-Swami Sharanam means ‘the only hope is Ayyappa.

Certain things in life are inherited from the traditions followed since ages without even they being written anywhere but passed on from generations to generations by following and practicing what is deemed right and religious ....Shabarimala Temple visit also not an exception.... Ayappa is celibate so that he can focus on answering the prayers of his devotees. And he will remain celibate till the day any malikappurathamas (first-time girl child devotees) stop coming to Sabarimala. So women aged between 10 and 50 (menstrual age) are not allowed in this shrine .As we know , all over India Hindu ladies during their menstruation period ,normally'll not visit any temple . Without a proper Vrutham it is a sacrilege to visit the temple or climb the Holy 18 Steps of Shabarimala (The 18 Steps cannot be climbed if you are not carrying an `Irumudi Kettu').A devotee aspiring for a darshan of Lord Ayyappan has to be pure both mentally and physically and for this, he is expected to observe